Dear Point Loma Pediatrics family,
Please see our current plan below, we are following county and state guidelines which still recommend well child exams:
- Our entire staff is vaccinated for Covid-19. We are wearing masks and face shields all day, every day. Rooms are being wiped down between every patient as always with extra attention paid to door handles, clipboards, tables, chairs, and hand sanitizer dispensers. We have enough PPE to keep ourselves safe. We are minimizing time patients spend in the waiting room and have removed balloons and the toy bin.
- Patients, parents and children over 2 will need to wear masks in the clinic. We do not have enough masks to provide them to patients.
- If your child is sick, please reschedule your well child visit. As always, we have dedicated well rooms in the main clinic.
- We will plan to see infectious illnesses (fever, cough, sneezing, wheezing, vomiting, diarrhea) outdoors. If you have high concern that you have been in contact with someone with coronavirus, please do not come into the clinic. We will see you behind the clinic in our tents.
- The current recommendation is to continue well child exams. If you are not comfortable coming into the clinic for a well child exam, we can see you in the parking lot to administer vaccines. These visits may be subject to a copay. Vaccines are typically given at the following visits: 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 12 months, 15 months, 18 months, 4 or 5 years, 11 years, 16 years. If you have not followed a standard schedule or postponed vaccines, they may be needed at other visits than those listed.
- We are also offering telemedicine visits for many concerns, these visits are subject to the same co-pays and deductibles as in-office visits per your insurance provider. Please call or text our office during business hours to request a telemedicine visit. Telemedicine visits are strongly recommended, and California law mandates that these visits be covered by private health plans. Tricare also covers telemedicine visits. You will either be called by a provider via FaceTime or receive a text link within 15 minutes of your scheduled time.
- We have rapid Covid tests from Quidel that take 15 minutes. They are considered 80-85% sensitive, meaning you could test negative and have a 10-15% chance of still having Covid. False negatives are more common when people are tested too early in the course of illness or incubation. Rady Children’s Hospital recommends testing 5-7 days after a high risk exposure, or any time you have symptoms. We are also able to send PCR tests to Rady, Sharp, and Quest. These tests are more sensitive but take 1-3 days. If you request only a rapid Covid screen, you will need to pay out of pocket ($75). If your child is ill, insurance should cover Covid testing as part pf a sick visit. We will test adults as well as needed.
- If you would like to discuss antibody testing, please schedule a telemedicine visit. Antibody testing is currently being offered by Quest, Sharp and Rady. These tests are serology (blood is drawn from a vein), not fingerprick tests. The fingerprick tests are extremely unreliable at this time.
Thank you for your consideration and stay safe!